Saturday, September 17, 2011

Links and Tweets and Circles – OH MY!


Over the past several weeks, I have been researching this whole idea of Blogging.  The blog itself is an effort to open my heart and fulfill the purpose for which I have been placed on this planet. (But that’s a whole other topic!)  What I have discovered is, the more I know, the more I find out I don’t know

Blogs are not merely on-line diaries, they are tools for education, support and networking.   So now, I have to figure out how to most effectively market the blog in order to reach the intended audience.  What a Pandora’s box!  There are some blogs that have 15 or 20 ‘buttons’ at the bottom for sharing their content.  There are blogs about blogging.  There are whole websites and businesses dedicated to getting followers for your blog.  How’s a girl supposed to choose?

MySpace never interested me.  I only got involved in FaceBook when my high school reunion came around and I wanted to see if everyone had aged as much as I had!  Until recently I had no use for Twitter – I really didn’t want to know when celebrities were getting their hair cut.  Call me a convert – I have found many worthwhile people to ‘follow’ and get a good bit of viable information from their ‘tweets’.  I was already Linked-In, but I wasn’t doing it right.  

Now I find out that I must Google+, but I have to have an ‘invitation’ and then form my ‘circles’.   It’s kind of like getting the nod from one of the cool kids to join their table at lunch.  All of these combine to form my Klout score, which goes up and down according to some mysterious algorithm, taking into account my likes, followers, network size, comments and retweets.  Effective use of these tools can mean the difference in a blog reaching your 10 besties or a world-wide audience.

I am at that crossroads in life - no longer young, but not yet old.  At this point one must make a conscious decision to keep up with the times or be left behind technologically.  I know now why my grandmother’s VCR always blinked 12:00!  This is going to take some real effort on my part.  I am going to have to consult with younger minds that will politely try to hide their incredulity that I do not grasp such seemingly easy concepts.

There is no choice but to forge ahead.  Achieving my goal of reaching out requires action.  Many years of viability lie ahead and I intend to make the most of them.  Staying relevant means staying current.  I don’t want to be the grandmother who has to ask what LOL means.


~Conia

No comments:

Post a Comment