Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Meditation?!?

meditate |ˈmedəˌtāt|
verb [ intrans. ]
think deeply or focus one's mind for a period of time, in silence or with the aid of chanting, for religious or spiritual purposes or as a method of relaxation.
( meditate on/upon) think deeply or carefully about (something) : he went off to meditate on the new idea.
[ trans. ] plan mentally; consider : they had suffered severely, and they began to meditate retreat.

 Twitter led me to Deepak Chopra.  Deepak Chopra led me to https://challenge.meyouhealth.com/about_daily_challenge.  It’s a site that gives you small daily challenges meant to raise your awareness of healthy habits.  There are points and little awards involved, so the competitor in me loves it.

Today’s challenge was about meditation.  Meditation?  Really? Meditation is for crunchy people – right?  You have to go into some sort of sacred place, figure out what a lotus position is and do some kind of chanting – don’t you?

The daily health challenge just said to find a quiet spot and concentrate on my breathing for five minutes.  I could do that.  There were points to be gained and badges to be won!

The five minutes went by slowly, but I didn’t fall asleep! At first, I felt guilty because I had so many things that needed to be done.  I was eventually able to transition and just concentrate.  At the end of the 5 minutes, I have to say, I felt like I had hit the reset button.  Those of the crunchy persuasion might call it ‘centered’.  Whatever you call it – I felt better. 

Our lives have become fast-paced and busy.  I cannot remember the last time I was actually bored.  So maybe this quiet time needs to play a part in our lives.  When our children misbehave, we send them their rooms to ‘think about’ what they did.  That’s a form of meditation.  What if we took time everyday just to go to our room and think about it? 

Without labeling it as such, meditation has become a recurring underlying theme in my life lately.  One of my favorite “Zig Talks” includes a suggestion that I spend 15 minutes at the beginning of each day sitting, thinking and praying for my day.  I got a tweet the other day that told me it is in times of stillness that we open our hearts and God can speak to us.

Today’s challenge makes the third such suggestion.  I may be hard-headed, but I DO get it eventually.  So I think I will incorporate a little purposeful ‘time-out’ each day.  It might do this mommy some good.
~Conia

No comments:

Post a Comment