Saturday, October 1, 2011

Behind....again


I love Calvin and Hobbes.  There is a cartoon of Calvin that floats around with a caption that says- “God put me on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things – right now I am so far behind, I may never die.”  I am feeling every bit of Calvin today.  There are so many incomplete things in my life.  Add to that the things I have identified which I would like to do daily and have not, and there is a to-do list of MASSIVE proportions. 

It comes down to disorganization and procrastination.  I am THE BEST procrastinator EVER.  While Ben Franklin admonishes us, “Do not put off until tomorrow, what you can do today”, and I understand all the reasons why, I often cannot be compelled to save myself.  Intellectually, I know that my life will run more smoothly if I would just buckle down and do certain things regularly.  Somehow that which I know to be true in my head, simply has no power to compel me to take action. 

Often, I just do not have the mental stamina to do what needs to be done.  Sometimes it is the physical stamina.  I have identified a solution that I know works:  Work out every day and make sure to get my MonaVie.  (Good nutrition) It’s amazing what your body can do when you are healthy.  It is also amazing what your mind can do when you commit to a plan and are disciplined enough to carry through. When I do those two things daily, my life starts to resemble a well-oiled machine.  Because I have started my day well, one good habit leads to another and soon my list is getting done.

The problem is that I lose momentum.  I forget to drink my MV, or put off working out, and once I have done it for one day, it becomes easier to do the next time, and the next time and the next.  Once I lose the momentum, I get irritated when my day doesn’t go well.  Once again, I know in my mind what to do, but choose not to. 

A lack of accountability makes it super easy to get derailed, while being accountable to someone keeps me moving in a forward direction.  If I know someone is watching, or has expectations of me, I am almost hyper-motivated to get things done and done right.  Lose the accountability, and my whole life tends to go south. 

It would be unfair to place the blame on someone else for my own lack of motivation, so I can’t say “Well, no one ever held me accountable.”  Even when people try, I am often able to wheedle myself out of any negative consequences.  I CAN do this  - I have done it before.  I know My Heavenly Father is the best accountability partner I could ask for.  I just have to take his calls.


~Conia

Proverbs 12:15
“The way of a fool is right in his own eyes, but a wise man is he who listens to counsel.” (NASB)

No comments:

Post a Comment