Wednesday, May 23, 2012

"A rose by any other name would smell as sweet" or would it?

A rose SHOULD smell sweet.  Or at least have an appealing fragrance of SOME kind.  In our attempts to make hardier, bigger, bug resistant, and bushes that bloom abundantly, roses have lost something - their smell!

When a bouquet of roses is delivered these days, there is no need to inhale appreciatively  - for there will be no discernible scent.  How will one stop and smell the roses if there is nothing to stimulate the olfactory? I embarked on a search for roses that do give off a lovely perfume and found the hybrid tea rose to be just what the Dr. ordered.  Filling that prescription, however was quite the feat.  I finally found what I was looking for!

Today, I cut my first fragrant bloom from the Firefighter variety of rose - I just had to share!



No comments:

Post a Comment