Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Sometimes you just have to DO it!

"The exceptions will kill you."  The first few times I heard that phrase, I really didn't grasp the meaning.  I get it now.  When you set a goal or make a plan, you have to stick with it.

I am a natural procrastinator, so it is no wonder this exception concept did not compute.  "I'll do it later", "I'll do it tomorrow", "I'll just skip this one" - all thoughts regularly floating through my head.

Hopefully, I am getting better.  I have to get better in order to teach my children procrastination is a bad thing!

I promised that I would write a blog daily for at least a week.  I have a list of topics all ready to go.  I just couldn't get excited about any of them tonight.  I am sure that I will be enthused about them again at some point.  (There is one topic on my list that may never get written because I have no idea what I meant when I wrote it.)  Once again, the thought of procrastinating crossed my mind.  But I couldn't NOT post.  We all know that things are easier to do the second time.  Had I skipped tonight, it would have been really easy for me to skip tomorrow and then it might be another 3 months before I posted again!

I decided I just had to DO it.  Just like exercise, I am always thrilled when I finish, but have sure a hard time getting started.  Typing up the blog now is more about not having any regrets tomorrow as opposed to fulfilling a goal for today.  At this point, I will apologize for the content of this particular post, but i won't be sorry that I posted!

So, as you go through the rest of your week, any time you decide to just DO it - even if you don't do it well  - give yourself a pat on the back for keeping your momentum going.  There are days when that's all anyone can ask for.

No comments:

Post a Comment