Tuesday, May 15, 2012

"Wish I had", or "Glad I did"?

When I decided to go back to school after the age of 30, I wrestled with the decision.  At the time, I was a stay at home mom with a husband who provided more than enough to meet our needs.  I had no driving passion to learn about any one thing.   Certainly, there was a cost involved and I just didn't know if it was going to be worth it.

To top it off, I would be attending classes with people whose sleep-deprivation was alcohol-laden and self-induced, as opposed to my sleep deprivation which was caused by an infant's hunger pangs, teething or just having no idea that midnight was a time for sleep instead of play.  

Beyond all the roadblocks, there remained a desire to reach the goal I had started so many years before.     My kids were little, so I would not be able to take many classes at once.  It was going to take quite some time.  At first, I would just be taking one class per semester.  Forget quite some time, this was going to take FOREVER!  


I decided the time was going to pass anyway.  Whether I took one class at a time or not, the days would turn into weeks, months and years.  My prevailing thought was  - "I will turn 40 either way". 

So I went back.  I thoroughly enjoyed my classes, professors and classmates.  I came away with a degree in Non-Profit Administration which is something that I found I had quite a love for.  All the while, my "I will turn 40 either way" mantra saw me through the times I thought the classes would never end.  I am proud to say I graduated with honors and crossed the stage long BEFORE my 40th birthday.  

Today, I reached a smaller, but similar goal.  I completed the 100+ hours of the Ziglar Success Institute online training.  I started back in September.  At the time, I had no idea how long it was going to take.  Life kept getting in the way.  I would get distracted, and stay off the site for days and sometimes weeks at a time.  There were times when I was sure I was never going to tip the scales on how many hours I had completed vs how many I STILL had left to do.  But I kept at it - and I DID IT!

We have two choices when it comes to seeing things through.  We can say, "I wish I had", or "I am sure glad I did!"  Today, I am very glad I did!  It is so easy to quit something that seems daunting, but it is infinitely MORE gratifying to get to the end.

I will be looking for my next challenge soon.  Accomplishment is addictive!


No comments:

Post a Comment